Hi all! I am finally updating my blog because I have an awesome new recipe to share. I had lots of requests for the recipe, so I thought it would force me to actually post for once. As I was freezing at work all day yesterday, I started looking for a warm, comforting recipe for dinner. I was browsing Pinterest and I came upon this recipe from Stupid Easy Paleo. Since I don’t eat beef or pork, I thought I would tweak it to make it my own. I added more vegetables and switched out the pork for ground turkey breast. I also used sweet potatoes instead of butternut squash since they are so much easier to cut! 🙂 Here’s the recipe:
– 1 Tbsp olive or coconut oil
– 1 yellow onion, chopped
– 1 green pepper, chopped
– 1 cup baby bella mushrooms
– 1.25 lbs ground turkey breast
– 1-2 medium organic sweet potatoes, finely sliced
– 1/2 cup black olives, optional
– 1 can trader joe’s organic tomato sauce
– 18oz jar trader joe’s traditional marinara sauce
– 4 eggs
– 2-3 Tbsp nutritional yeast, optional
– 9×13 in glass pan
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees
2. chop and saute onion and peppers in choice of oil at medium heat for about 5 minutes. Remove and set aside
3. In the same pan, add ground turkey breast and cook until fully cooked. Add mushrooms and cook a couple minutes longer
4. While meat is cooking, prepare your sweet potatoes. Try and slice very thinly or else they won’t cook!
5. Add vegetables back into the pan and mix. Add marinara and tomato sauce into pan and mix thoroughly.
6. Crack and mix up 4 eggs in a bowl. Add nutritional yeast to the eggs
7. Now, it’s time to layer your lasagna. Add a small amount of the sauce mixture to the bottom of your pan. Then, add a layer of the thinly sliced sweet potatoes. I made my bottom layer pretty thick with sweet potatoes. Then layer 1/3 of the sauce mixture. Next, add 1/3 of the egg mixture. Repeat these steps 2 more times. Note: I added less sweet potatoes in the 2nd and 3rd layers and I still felt like there was a TON of sweet potato in the dish.
8. Bake for 35-40 minutes
9. Serve on top of a huge bed of spinach and enjoy!
Note: you can use real cheese instead of nutritional yeast if you want, but this makes it dairy free. The eggs help keep everything together better and with the nutritional yeast, it adds a cheesy look and flavor!